Massachusetts Woman Arrested for Drunk Driving with Child in Car

Hingham Police arrested a Cohasset woman last week on several Massachusetts Drunk Driving Charges for allegedly driving while intoxicated and with her 12 year old son in the front seat.

Gay R. Winn, 47, was charged with OUI / DUI, Negligent Operation of a Motor Vehicle; and Operating Under the Influence of Alcohol with a Child Under 14.

According to the Hingham Police Department, officers were called to a report of an SUV driving erratically on Route 228. The anonymous caller reportedly provided the police with the license plate and a description of the vehicle.

Officers who located the SUV allegedly observed it to cross over into oncoming traffic and eventually pulled the car over. When they approached the driver, officers allegedly smelled alcohol coming from the vehicle and her speech to be slurred. Her 12 year old son was also in the vehicle seated in the front seat.

Although Winn exercised her right and refused to submit to any Field Sobriety Tests, Hingham Police arrested her based on her alleged admission that she had been drinking and that they believed she exhibited signs of intoxication, including her allegedly being unsteady on her feet.

Following the Massachusetts Legislature passing “Melanie’s Law”, it is now a crime to operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol with a child 14 years of age or younger.

The DUI / OUI Crime of Child Endangerment While Operating Under the Influence of Alcohol is punishable with a minimum-mandatory jail sentence of not less than 90 days and up to 2.5 years for a first offender, along with a 1 year loss of the person’s driver’s license. A second offender faces 3-5 years in state prison and a 3 year loss of their driver’s license.

Boston DUI Lawyer Lefteris K. Travayiakis is available 24/7 for consultation for all Massachusetts Drunk Driving Charges, including OUI / DUI and Child Endangerment While OUI.

To schedule a Free Consultation, Click Here to Contact a Massachusetts OUI / DUI Lawyer or call 617-325-9500.

Contact Information